Sunday, June 24, 2018

Week 4: The Kom Convention

This week started out in a very routine manner. Monday was very productive since I had spent Friday reviewing my data and was more confident in the work I was doing now. The day was spent working quietly at my desk. The most dramatic event of the day was when I had a snickers bar and hot fries as lunch in an attempt to save money. This turned out to be a really good idea because I repeated it later and plan to continue it in the future. That night there were no plans to go out so I just relaxed in the apartment until bedtime came.
Tuesday was a little more eventful for me but more because this is when I realized that I would probably be travelling to New York on thursday. There was a Kom convention that weekend and I had made a commitment to attend. The Kom convention was the annual event where members of the Kom community based all over the United States would come together for a weekend. Even though I never lived in Kom myself, it is where my mother is from and so most people from her side of the family that live in America usually attend. This means it is treated as a kind of family reunion for a lot of people. The problem with having to go there on Thursday was my uncertainty with the procedure of me missing a day of work.
That day I spoke with my mentor about possibly working from home on Friday so as not to fall behind, however after some thought it was decided that I would instead make up the hours missed the following week. Later that night there was a General Assembly event that we had to attend as part of the QEM professional development. The event itself was very interesting. It was a talk from a career coach that boiled down to taking actions towards your future goals rather than just wishing for them.
Wednesday started very hard for me. For some reason I felt exhausted the whole day. While going through the day I attempted my first real visit to Dr. Sherrie Green’s office that day but unfortunately she was in a meeting with Dr. Toldson the president of QEM. She was also busy for the rest of the day so we decided to meet the next day. Lunch that day was the best of the week, partly because it was the only day I bought an actual lunch. However it was mainly because the Puerto Rican food truck was back in the area and I ate a giant sandwich called a Tripleta. After that the rest of the day was spent getting as much done as I could.
Thursday was my last day in the office that week and I was gonna spend the whole day in an interview workshop. The workshop itself was very good and interesting. The person running it had extensive experience as an interviewer herself and was able to tell us how she and her colleagues thought of the was people answered certain questions. It was very thorough from the preparatory phase to the actual interview. Unfortunately I missed a huge chunk in the middle of the workshop because of my meeting with Sherrie, however that meeting was very productive. This was the first time I had really talked to her one on one and what seemed like a quick 30 min meeting between us turned into a very interesting and informative hour and a half meeting. As a consequence of that meeting I am researching certain possible graduate school options that I didn’t know about before.
After work ended that day I rushed to grab my mostly packed bags from my apartment before meeting with my mother and sister in Baltimore. Unfortunately I stupidly got on the Marc train that goes to every stop so I was really late in getting to them, and to make matters worse I had to drive.  
Rather than describe my days at the Kom convention I am gonna put up these pictures from the cultural night we held during the convention. I believe these are the best way to represent my weekend.







No comments:

Post a Comment